THE new Victoria Creek bridge and the northern 1.1km section of the Princes Highway upgrade south of Narooma was quietly opened to traffic on Tuesday afternoon.
Temporary traffic lights have been installed for up to three weeks to restrict traffic to one lane 100 metres south of the new Victoria Creek bridge, enabling work to build a new intersection and to build up the old highway by up to two metres.
The new northbound overtaking lane will remain closed and speed restrictions will be in place to allow for the safe completion of nearby work, a Roads and Maritime spokeswoman said.
The overtaking lane is expected to be open by the end of the year, improving traffic flow by providing an overtaking opportunity for motorists in both directions on the new alignment, she said.
Work will also be carried out to rebuild 500 metres of the existing highway in the northbound lanes at the northern end of the project.
This work is expected to start in early December.
Work meanwhile progresses at the southern end of the $40million upgrade with the entire 3.2km section due to be complete early next year.
The Tilba Chamber of Commerce meanwhile had been making inquiries as to whether the old bridge, built in 1935, could be saved for heritage reasons and to provide an alternate creek crossing.
But the chamber is now satisfied that saving the old bridge would be too costly requiring ongoing maintenance.
From one bypass to another
The girder-laden truck that became stuck on the Victoria Creek realignment last Tuesday was actually bound for the Bega bypass project.
Four of the heavily laden trucks were seen lumbering through Narooma shortly before the incident that blocked and partially blocked the Princes Highway between 10.30am and 2pm.
Local police and Roads and Maritime Service officials redirected traffic, but highway patrol deemed the accident was caused by the roadway and no action was being taken.