The next Farms with a Future event will be held on Tuesday, October 24 on the Verona property of Ida Pedersen. It will address many aspects of water quality including:
- use of appropriate wetland plants as a key to dam and water health
- using earthworks for water management and erosion control
- improved management of cattle rotational grazing excel spreadsheet
- repairing the dam overflow.
Aquaculturist Django Van Tholen and plant specialist James Cook will be attending, and will discuss:
- water quality for aquaculture
- water testing
- planting with beneficial plants
- building filtration islands
- stocking with fish
- dam ecology and encouraging ecological diversity.
Also of interest will be Ida’s approach to:
- improving soil health by introducing the minerals and elements that are missing through the provision of mineral licks for the cattle, and in future, through the introduction of selected herbs in the pasture.
- compost making using weed species available on the farm.
By attending and submitting your plan to make your property more ecologically sustainable you will be in the running to win one of five $1000 grants for you property.
To register go to farmswithafuture.scpa.org.au and click on JOIN IN. The $20 fee goes towards the teas, lunch and handouts.
Farms with a Future is part of the $125 million of National Landcare Program investment that Local Land Services is delivering to boost farm gate productivity and improve environmental health across NSW.