The Rural Fire Service has issued a warning about smoldering items after responding to a house fire on Hillcrest Avenue at Narooma in the early hours of Sunday, February 11.
RFS group officer for Eurobodalla South, Mick Anderson also said the situation could have been a lot worse had the young family not been alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm.
“It could have been a lot worse had it not been for the functioning smoke alarms and there are definitely some lessons to be learned here,” Mr Anderson said.
The Narooma RFS brigade and also the town’s Fire & Rescue NSW brigade responded to the house fire at 1.37am on Sunday,
Mr Anderson said the fire spread from the deck into the structure of the house, with wall sections having to be torn down to access the flames.
The RFS and town fire brigades entered the house in tandem and fought the fire together.
He said the cause of the fire had been determined and the lesson to be learned was not to leave items such as mosquito coils, incense or barbecues smouldering.
He also urged all residents to have a functioning smoke alarm as the family, consisting of a father, mother and two young daughters, were woken by the alarm.
They were able to exit the house and call 000 for help, he said.
The change of daylight saving on Easter Sunday, April 1 was publicized as the time to change smoke alarm batteries, but this event was also a good reason for residents to check their alarms right now, Mr Anderson said.