Super start for racer as Battye tops bike series

Reid Battye on a wet lap at a recent meet has claimed a second-round win at Wakefield Park over the weekend.
Reid Battye on a wet lap at a recent meet has claimed a second-round win at Wakefield Park over the weekend.

Bermagui racer Reid Battye has continued his terrific form into the second round of the Australian Superbike Championship. 

Battye topped the his class, and the field, after two round wins and a third-placed finish. 

Battye said on social media he was thrilled with the result given that the field had all ridden awesomely well across the weekend. 

Held at Goulburn’s Wakefield Park over the weekend, Battye held a six-second advantage to win his first race with spats of rain causing worry to plenty in the field. 

“All throughout the weather was on and off with showers soaking the track,” Battye said on social media. 

“We were lucky enough for the skies to break clear for our races though.”

Battye fought his way from fifth on the grid to first place in the opening race, but unlike Philip Island he didn’t hold on by a fraction of a second, but extended a huge margin. 

“I pushed to make a six-second gap over second place to take the win on the DB Racing machine,” he said. 

“I can not thank my team DB Racing enough for putting together a awesome bike and MM Painting for the schmick colours.”

Battye said the second race was a lot more challenging after he “made a few mistakes”, but he was able to ovetake some of the back markers and finish third overall. 

The result was first in his class of the under 300 production series. 

Seemingly with a grip on the round in his series, Battye said the weekend’s third race was “definitely the most tricky” as the start was delayed by rain. 

“It wasn’t enough to go wet tyres [so we had to wait],” he said. 

“With the track starting to dry the lights were able to drop and I made a better start.”

He blasted off the line and emerged from turn one in second place. 

“Soon I thought I had the pace to lead and try and break away, so I made my move quick on the first lap to lead and break a two second gap,” he said.

Unfortunately, the rain returned by lap six and soaked the track. 

Battye said officials had no choice but to red flag the race after a handful of crashes and placings were declared as they stood at the time. 

“This put me in first overall for the weekend and first in the under 300 production also for the weekend.

Battye said he was excited to continue in the series, holding a lead in his class, but said he could not do all his racing without the support of his family. 

“I can't give my thanks enough to my Mum, Dad and sister for what you do for me, you are all the most awesome people,” he said. 

The third round of the series will be held at the Winton Motorsport Park.