Why we cannot wait to Fix it Now

It would have been so nice to have written this editorial about all the great things happening on the South Coast and Far South Coast this Easter weekend.

The death of a woman on the Princes Highway on Monday, two kilometres south of Narooma, has made that impossible.

As families flock to our beautiful coastline for the school holidays, we want them all to return home safe and sound.

So too for all those residents who continue to go to work in this busy period or will spend time driving their families to the Tilba Festival, the Easter egg hunt at the Eurobodalla Regional Botanic Garden, the Mogo Village Easter Gala on Sunday, or the Four Winds Festival near Bermagui, to name just a few.

The political support and funding commitments recently thrown towards the Princes Highway are most welcome.

However black spots such as those south of Moruya and south of Narooma must win immediate attention.

The family of the 25-year-old woman who died in Monday morning's collision with a truck towing a chipper trailer is grieving.

It should be possible for residents and visitors to use our roads more safely.

The NRMA in 2014 said there were very simple and cost-effective changes that could be made to make our highway safer.

They included flashing warning lights that would automatically be triggered in black spots during wet weather.

They included wire dividers, overtaking lanes and wider shoulders.

The NSW Government and both major parties contesting the federal election have promised historic funding for a major overhaul of this historically neglected highway.

If there is anything that can be done in the short-term to prevent another fatality, it should now be scheduled.

Meanwhile police and all emergency crews are appealing for drivers to take the utmost care and drive to the conditions.

Someone who clearly has not been listening is the 38-year-old man who will face court after being charged with high-range drink driving in Moruya on Monday, April 15.

Police pulled the man over at 2.10pm on Campbell Street, Moruya, where he returned a positive reading of .344.

It is time to stop.