PHOTOS: Princes Highway reopens after accident near Tilba

THE Princes Highway was blocked for almost three hours following a single-vehicle accident near Tilba Tilba on Friday morning.

The closure was located around 16km north of Cobargo just a few hundred metres south of the Bermagui turn-off at Tilba Tilba.

There were no injuries in the incident, with police and later a tow truck sent to the scene to perform a recovery.

The accident occurred at 6.45am when a 24-year-old man from Traralgon, Victoria was heading home towing his broken down Jeep Cherokee on a trailer behind a Holden Commodore sedan.

The man and his mother, who had been holidaying in the Camel Rock area of Bermagui, had just turned south onto the highway and were descending a steep hill when the trailer began fishtailing from side to side, eventually causing the Commodore to turn a full 180 degrees.

The trailer flipped over and the Jeep landed on it wheels, with both cars and trailer blocking both lanes of the highway.

It was a bad ending to otherwise a great holiday, they said.

The Jeep broke down earlier in the week resulting in the man calling his mother to drive up from Traralgon with the Commodore and trailer so they could tow it back home.

Another group in their party was going to stay behind in Bermagui for a few extra days and they were called to the accident from nearby Camel Rock soon after the man and his mum had set out.

“We thought they had gotten lost already,” one of the holidaymakers said.

“At least they are okay – you can replace cars but not people.”

Locals who heard the accident from their properties forced to do traffic control for around two hours.

A highway patrol officer was on scene investigating and interviewing those involved.

It would turn out to be a busy morning for tow-truck driver Ken from Narooma Tilt Trays who would have to do three journeys back and forth for the Commodore, Jeep and then trailer.

There was another highway accident that occurred on the bend just 100 metres north of the Corunna bridge, although no inconvenience as it was around 1.15am on Saturday morning.

A 43-year-old local woman lost control of her Toyota utility, leaving the roadway, hitting a traffic sign and an embankment, the vehicle rolling onto its roof.

A passing motorist took the woman home before police and the RFS arrived, although she was later located and taken to Moruya hospital by ambulance for treatment and blood tests.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide